The Advocates’ Institute forms the foundation of NCCADV’s training program. Intended for new advocates, and those that feel they need a refresher, the Institute is designed to build skills and competencies around the dynamics of domestic violence and best practices in serving survivors of all ages and identities.
The Institute also provides a brief introduction to prevention of domestic violence, so advocates are prepared to seek out further training in that area. The Institute curriculum is regularly updated to include the newest information and cutting edge practices and was completely revamped for 2019!
The overarching goal of the Institute is to increase the quality of services provided to survivors across the state. Helping advocates increase their skills results in higher confidence and increased creativity. Supporting organizations in their work can increase the longevity of staff tenure and the quality of workplace experiences.
NCCADV uses the Advocates’ Institute as an important vehicle to convey its priorities and beliefs about the best way to provide services to survivors of domestic violence regardless of their identities or experiences.
This is a five day course on January 28 to February 1. Participants must attend all five days.
What Topics are Covered?
• Dynamics of Domestic Violence
• Health Impacts of Domestic Violence
• Best Practices in Advocacy
• Cultural Humility/Responsiveness & Domestic Violence
• Serving Survivors from Diverse Backgrounds
• Active Listening & Crisis Intervention
• Effects of Domestic Violence on Children
• Teen Dating Violence
• Risk Assessment & Safety planning
• Technology & Domestic Violence
• Introduction to Court Advocacy
• Setting Boundaries & Self-Care
• DV Protective & No-Contact Orders
• Introduction to Prevention
• The Impact of Trauma
• Working with System Partners
• Mental Health and Substance Use disorders
• Systems Advocacy
|Event Date||01-28-2019 8:30 am|
|Event End Date||02-01-2019 5:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||11-02-2018|
|Cut off date||01-26-2019|
|Individual Price||Members: FREE <br />|