We list our collected information on domestic violence homicides in NC here.
See the most recent statistical data for domestic violence and sexual assault services utilized in NC in the NC Council for Women 2015-2016 report.
Visit the NC Council for Women website for data from prior years and further details on its reports.
National Statistics on Domestic Violence
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million people.
- Every 9 seconds in the US, a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. "Domestic Violence National Statistics." National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. September 11, 2015. (accessed August 25, 2016).
College and University
- 43% of dating college women report experiencing some violent and abusive dating behaviors43% of dating college women report experiencing some violent and abusive dating behaviorsincluding physical, sexual, tech, verbal or controlling abuse (Knowledge Networks, 2011).
- 1 in 5 college women (22%) report physical abuse, sexual abuse, or threats of physical violence (knowledge Networks, 2011). The same study also revealed that more than half of college students surveyed (57%) said that it’s difficult to identify dating abuse and 58% said that they don’t know what to do to help someone who is a victim of dating abuse.
- More than 40% of LGBTQ+ college students (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer,More than 40% of LGBTQ+ college students (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer,questioning and other non-heterosexual identities) report that they have experienced inter-personal violence (IPV) intheir current relationships, a rate that generally aligns with the rate of violence amongheterosexual couples (Edwards & Sylaska, 2014)
Learn more about our college and university work to make campuses safer for all students.